Created 2014-10. This currently works in Joomla 3.
I was researching using Joomla to manage my existing website. I was wondering how you managed having both the Joomla-created pages and my existing pages side-by-side during the transition. Like many things in a program that does almost everything for you, the solution is very easy if you know "the trick". What I did to create a Menu link in Joomla to an existing static page was to select the Menu Item Type of "External URL", even though I would usually consider a link within my own domain as an internal link. Here is the procedure.
- Log into the administration Control Panel in Joomla.
- Click on Menu Manager ---> [Menu Name to be Edited].
- Near the top of the page, click on the (green) "New" button.
- To the right of "Menu Item Type", click the "Select" button.
- In the pop-up window, click on "System Links" and then "External URL".
- You may then type or paste the full URL in the box to the right of the "Link" label.
- Near the top of the page, click the (green) "Save" button.
Hope this helps. Just about every search I did told me how to create a link in Joomla to another Joomla article. If you got here, maybe this is what you were looking for...