Free Desktop Wallpaper Photos: Instructions
Here is a collection of photos you can use as desktop wallpapers. They are free for personal, non-commercial use only. To find out about commercial use, see the stock photos page. If you know what you are doing you can go straight to the correct type of monitor you have:
- 16x9 MONITOR - Most flat panel LCDs and widescreen laptops.
- 4x3 MONITOR - Original CRT monitors and older laptops.
- Decide on your monitor type.
For most flat-panel LCDs sold in 2009, they have a 16x9 aspect ratio. For instance, 1680x1050. For older monitors with a CRT display, most of the resolution choices fit a 4x3 aspect ratio. Your screen resolution might be 1600x1200, 1280x960, 1024x768, or even 800x600 for a very small screen.
- Set the large photo image directly as a desktop background.
Depending on your web browser, you may be able to save the large JPG image directly as a desktop background. Follow the link above that corresponds to your monitor. Click on the photo thumbnail to display the larger image in your browser. Check the choices when you Right-Click with a PC, or Ctrl-Click (or Cmd-Click) on a Mac. In Firefox, my choice is "Save As Desktop Background...". and in my version of Internet Explorer it says "Save As Background".
- OR, Save the large file to your computer and set to background later
- Manually setting the desktop wallpaper image.
Use whatever click combination listed in the previous paragraph gives you a menu and choose the one closest to "Save Image As..." when you see the large photo in your browser.
- Linux Gnome: Right-click on the desktop and choose "Change Desktop Background"
- Windows XP: Right-click the desktop and choose "Properties". Click on the "Desktop" tab. Use the "Browse..." button to find and select the photo you want to use. Click on "Apply" to preview it and "OK" when you are done.
- Mac OS X 10.4
- Mac OS X 10.5
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7